The central mission of the Office of Institutional Research (OIR) is the collection, organization, and analysis of institutional and other data to support institutional management, operations, decision-making, and planning functions.
Included in this central mission is systematic information processing of University-wide data leading to broadly based institutional perspectives and understanding.
Also included are studies related to projected needs, program objectives, as well as efficiency and effectiveness in the use of institutional resources.
What We Do
- Coordinate the dissemination of institutional data.
- Create, analyze and interpret management information from survey data.
- Collect data about the University’s performance.
- Provide data and information to authorities such as federal and state governmental agencies and accrediting bodies.
- Improve teaching and learning by assisting departments with program reviews and other assessment efforts
- Develop and maintain comprehensive data and information systems required for institutional study, management, and planning. These systems link data across administrative lines and provide focused institutional data and information necessary for concentrated analysis of issues significant to the institution
- Provide in-depth, substantive analysis of selected topics upon request, with data and reports as appropriate in order to assist with the translation of data into usable information
- Provide consistent, reliable data, statistics, and reports as appropriate and as mandated to external agencies and entities and engage in data exchanges and studies with peer institutions
- Function as an information center for the aggregation of data and literature compiled in ongoing, documented studies and projects and for the rich and wide-ranging mass of historical data maintained by OIR and other University offices
- Provide data and other support for the University’s planning process and associated review, evaluation, and assessment activities
- Work collaboratively with other units across campus to ensure accurate data is maintained and to assist in campus-wide data integration
- Proactively scan the national and state higher education social and political environments in order to remain aware of issues which may affect UGA
- Actively support and encourage high levels of professional training, competence, and expertise on the part of OIR personnel in order to encourage knowledgeable participation in and support of ongoing institutional activity